An Affiliate of the World Trade Institute
Core Team: Directors
Hadil Hijazi, MA, MSc | Director
Hadil is a seasoned trade policy advisor with over 15 years of professional experience advising public and private institutions on trade and economic policy.
Her practice focuses on trade policy and law, including in particular DDA negotiations, trade in services, NTBs and Trade Facilitation, WTO accession, Aid for Trade and regional integration (EuroMed, EPAs). Hadil is also a highly experienced trainer and designer of tailor-made trainings.
Current or recent engagements include:
- Team leader and advisor to the Commonwealth Secretariat in analyzing the obstacles preventing the Bahamas, Samoa, Seychelles and Vanuatu from achieving their WTO membership
- Alternate team leader and advisor to the ACP Group in the DDA negotiations especially in regard to regional trade agreements, trade and environment and development issues
- Advisor to the African Group on the DDA Negotiations on Trade Facilitation
- Senior expert in a TA project in the higher education sector of Ethiopia regarding the WTO legal system for Regional Integration and Import and Export Regulations
- Advisor to the Palestinian Ministry of National Economy on WTO observership and accession
- Speaker at specialist workshops for ACP countries on EPAs and WTO legal issues in Brussels, Johannesburg, Accra, Paramaribo, St. George and Mombasa
- Advisor to the Office of the Government of Vietnam on ensuring WTO-compatible legislation
- Adviser to the Swiss Secretariat for Economic Affairs (SECO) on institutional and capacity building for academic training and research centers on trade law and policy in developing countries.
Hadil is a regular speaker at conferences and seminars on WTO/trade matters and appeared as a guest lecturer at various universities including EDHEC, Nice, the American University of Central Asia in Bishkek, the Royal University of Law and Economics in Phnom Penh, and the Pontificia Universidad Católica del Perú in Lima. Her publications include:
- Reflections on a Future Trade Facilitation Agreement: Implementation and Monitoring of WTO Obligations, UNCTAD, 2011 (available here)
- Understanding and Managing the Notification of EPAs to the WTO: A Manual for ACP Delegations, the ACP Group in Geneva, 2009 (co-author)
- GATT Article XXIV and Asymmetric Rules of Origin: Could it work for EPAs?, GTZ Reader on EPAs, 2008
- Preparing for Negotiations on the Liberalization of Services and Investment: A Vademecum for Consultations, Palestinian Federation of Industries, 2007 (co-author)
- Guidebook on the Pan Euro-Med Cumulation of Origin, Palestinian Federation of Industries, 2006 (co-author)
Hadil holds Masters degrees in International and Comparative Legal Studies from SOAS, London and Management from Boston University. Apart from her native Arabic she speaks English, German and some French.