Core Team: Directors
Hannes Schloemann, LL.M. | Director
Hannes advises governments, IGOs, NGOs, business associations and corporate clients on a wide range of issues of WTO/trade policy and law.
He is also a highly experienced trainer and designer of tailor-made trainings, and a tested team leader and manager. His key areas of practice include trade in services (GATS, RTAs, TISA, etc.), trade in agricultural and non-agricultural goods, sanitary and phytosanitary measures, technical barriers to trade, subsidies, the WTO’s DDA negotiations, regional trade agreements (incl. EPAs, EuroMed, EU FTAs), WTO accessions (law, policy, strategy), WTO dispute settlement and Trade & Climate Change.
Current or recent professional engagements include, for example:
- Co-author of a study on the WTO accession of four Commonwealth countries (The Bahamas, Samoa, the Seychelles and Vanuatu) (Commonwealth Secretariat)
- Team Leader/Alternate Team Leader and Expert for Agriculture, Services, Development Issues and other DDA issues advising the ACP Group in Geneva on the DDA
- Co-author of a major opinion on climate change-related trade issues (int’l institution)
- Trainer and research supervisor on WTO law issues (specifically Agriculture, SPS and TRIPS) for a group of young law professors/lecturers in Ethiopia
- Advisor to the Palestinian Ministry of Economy on WTO observership & accession
- Drafter of a new “Trade Development Act” and accompanying import and export regulations for the Kingdom of Bhutan
- Speaker at specialist workshops for ACP countries on EPA & WTO legal issues in Brussels (all ACP), Johannesburg (SADC EPA), Accra (ECOWAS) and Mombasa (Kenya)
- Consultant/trainer for the Office of the Government of Vietnam on ensuring WTO- compatible legislation
Hannes publishes regularly on WTO/trade law, teaches at several academic institutions and is a regular speaker at conferences and seminars on WTO/trade matters. His publications include, e.g.:
- Cutting the Regulatory Edge? Services Regulation Disciplines in the CARIFORUM EPA (with C. Pitschas); Does Cotonou Require IP Chapters in EPAs? A Legal Reality Check; TRIPS plus and TRIPS minus in EPAs: An Article-by-Article Analysis of the 2007 Draft SADC EPA; all in: GTZ Reader on EPAs, 2009
- Brazil Tyres: Policy Space Confirmed under GATT Article XX (Note on the WTO AB Report in Brazil–Tyres), Bridges Monthly (Feb 2008)
- Preparing for Negotiations on the Liberalization of Services and Investment – A “Vademecum” Toolkit for Consultations within the Palestinian Services Industries (with G. Salem & H. Hijazi) (2006)
- “Constitutionalization” and Dispute Settlement in the WTO: National Security as an Issue of Competence, 93 AMERICAN JOURNAL OF INTERNATIONAL LAW 424-451 (1999) (with S. Ohlhoff); received the ASIL’s Francis Deák Award for this article.
- Rational Allocation of Disputes and “Constitutionalization”: Forum Choices as an Issue of Competence, in: DISPUTE RESOLUTION IN THE WORLD TRADE ORGANISATION 302-329 (J. Cameron & K. Campbell, eds.) (1998) (with S. Ohlhoff)
Hannes is a German national. He studied in Heidelberg (State Exam), Geneva and New York. He holds an LL.M. from New York University and is a member of the Berlin and New York Bars and is registered as a foreign lawyer with the Geneva Bar. Before establishing WTI Advisors he was a trade lawyer with Baker & McKenzie in Berlin and London.